Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday - Music: My Epiphone Goth G-400

For my second entry on my collection of instruments, I'll get the other electric out of the way, as I've been jamming on and recording with it tonight.


The Epiphone Goth G-400. Let me start by defending myself and explaining the Robert Smith-like name. It's called the 'Goth' G-400 because everything is a jet black mostly matte finish. Everything from the pickups to the hardware to the pickguard. Oh right, the neck also has no fret markers to speak of, just this mother of pearl inlay of 'XII' on the (can you guess?) 12th fret. All of this is super dumb.

What isn't dumb is how this baby plays. The pickups it comes stocked with are pretty hot sounding. It's almost like a single coil sound from two humbuckers. The neck on this beast is one of the chunkiest I've ever wrapped my left hand around. Seriously, holding this guitar feels more like holding a baseball bat. It's heavy too, I can't let go of the neck without it taking a dive for the floor, but that's ok. I rarely want to let go of it once I've picked it up.

This neck is so thick that I normally keep the thickest strings I can find on it. I say, if I can keep one guitar tuned to a drop-B for the occasional metal chug-fest, why not right? The main idea you should be taking away from this is that with some of my guitars, I could play you songs until you're blue in the face. With this guitar, I will pummel your face until it's blue anyhow. I'm tired. Goodnight. This was the worst entry ever. You should probably check back once I come back to edit it out of embarrassment.

bth

No comments:

Post a Comment